What should I look for when buying new kitchen cabinets?
The kitchen is said to be the heart of your home. It is where a lot of entertaining takes place, and also where a lot of family time is spent. From doing activities with your family, helping with homework, and of course enjoying great meals with family and friends. There is so much that takes place in the kitchen; many memories are created here, and many always want to keep it looking its best. If you’re looking to renovate your kitchen one of the best places you can start is buying new kitchen cabinets. It may sound simple, but there are some major things that you should look for when you are buying new kitchen cabinets.
Materials & Budget
Just as with most things, there is a wide range when looking at both materials and budget. The differences in materials and the quality of materials, depending on what you choose, it can cost anywhere from $2,500 to $24,000 for kitchen cabinets. While this range may seem extreme, we can say that most new cabinets are priced between $4,000 and $13,000 on average. The size of your kitchen and layout of how the cabinets will go will play a part in how much it will cost, but it also depends on the cabinet category you decide upon.
- Stock (Ready-to-Assemble) Cabinets: These cabinets are mass produced and come in set sizes. You aren’t able to modify them in any manner, they’re often pre-assembled and ready to be installed. They may also need some assembly.
- Custom Cabinets: These cabinets are built in dimensions that are specific to your kitchen and have virtually unlimited selections (you can have exactly what you want). Generally, they will have one of a kind features; they can be built floor to ceiling and you can choose specific moldings to your liking.
- Semi-Custom Cabinets: Standard sizes are offered which will help keep the prices low, but you are able to have options for modifications with this option. These cabinets have a variety of extra details that will allow personalized style and storage capabilities.
If setting a budget, you want to try to have above what you think it will cost to have more than enough money to get the cabinets you desire.
The hardware that you have for your kitchen cabinets will be completely your choice. You will need to decide if you want knobs, pulls, or some of both. While you can have it any way you want, generally, knobs are used for doors, and pulls are used for drawers.
- Knobs: They are smaller than handles, and are less expensive. You can use these for cabinets or drawers. You may find they are easier to install than pulls; this is only because you will only need one screw to lock the knob onto the cabinet.
- Pulls: They are larger in size than knobs. Many think they make more of a statement than knobs and they are easier to grip, because of the size. Pulls are more expensive, but they come in different sizes, and tend to compliment cabinets that are on a larger scale.
Another part of the hardware that you will get to choose will be the style the looks best in your kitchen and home. Hardware details such as curved silhouettes, ridges, textured details will generally work better with traditional designs or heritage-inspired designs. If you have modern cabinets, they will generally have clean lines, sleek edges, and a minimal profile that is smooth to the touch.
Every area of the home will have things that are trends, and that is no different for kitchen cabinets. It’s important to remember your kitchen cabinets aren’t just for storing items, they are essential to your kitchen and are often seen as the jewel of the kitchen that brings everything together. Here are some trends you will want to consider when buying new kitchen cabinets.
- Open Shelving: This is becoming a hot trend; it will introduce light and will give the illusion of more space in your kitchen.
- Oak Wood: More people are choosing to use oak wood when they are getting their kitchen cabinets. They give off a warm vibe in your kitchen.
- Minimalism Is Key: Keeping it simple is best; organization, and keeping your cabinets clean are essential for your kitchen and the cabinets.
These are some of the things you should think on when it comes to buying your new kitchen cabinets. While there is a lot of thought that should go into this, you will love the end results once the time is put into it!